What to Wear to Your Portrait Session
Choosing what to wear for your portrait session can be quite stressful. I've created this page to give you some helpful tips in choosing outfits for your session.
How to put together an outfit
When my clients are choosing an outfit for their session I like to tell them about some awesome advice I follow from stylist Payton Dale, "4 pieces is an outfit, 6 is a look." For example jeans, a t shirt, shoes, and a jacket is a put together complete outfit. However, if you want to make more of an impression you could add earrings and a hat. Sometimes those extra pieces (even if they're small) can make your outfit more of a look than just a put together outfit. You don't always have to add 6 pieces to make a statement though, sometimes a pop of color, a fun shoe, or dramatic dress can make enough of a statement on its own.
Add in Some Personal Details
What makes you you? are you a track star? Do you love books. Were you on the football team. Do you play an instrument? Where are you going to College? Including the things you love in your session can make it extra special. We can even include your family pet!
Important things to consider!
There are a few important things to consider before your shoot:
- Tan lines and sunburns are very hard to edit out so please stay out of the sun before your shoot date.
- apple watches do not photograph well I recommend not wearing one to your shoot
- having the correct undergarments is very important
- please make sure you can sit, stand, bend and move freely in all of your outfits
- schedule your haircuts/ highlights before your shoot. I cannot edit hair roots
- guys be sure your facial hair is how you want it on the day of your shoot
- make sure your nails look nice. There's nothing wrong with bare unpolished nails but cracked nail polish is hard to edit out
- Be sure to bring a parent or friend to your shoot. this is so helpful when it comes to holding your outfits or helping you change
- pack extra makeup up, hair brush and hairspray